- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- On another bowl, or measuring cup, mix the egg, milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the sifted dry ingredients.
- Whisk until incorporated.
- Pour the hot coffee (or hot water) over the batter.
- Pour the batter into cupcake tins, filling up only halfway.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 18 minutes, until you can touch the surface of a cupcake with your finger and it springs right back, or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool.
CONDENSED MILK CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- Start by melting the chocolate in a microwave bowl, at 20 second increments, stirring in between until all chocolate has melted. Set it aside to cool to room temperature.
- Next, make sure the butter is at the appropriate consistency, which should be at room temperature. The butter should have a nice shape, not be too soft, but not cold either. It’s ideal if the butter is from 68 to 72ºF.
- Cream the butter with an electric mixer, at medium-high speed, for 5 minutes.
- Turn the mixer off, sift the cocoa powder on top of the butter, add condensed milk in. Cream with the mixer on medium speed for 1 minute until combined.
- Add melted, cooled, room temperature chocolate to the bowl.
- Cream until incorporated and smooth. Make sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Place the frosting in a large piping bag fitted with the tip of choice.
- Pipe it over the cooled down cupcakes.
Recipe by our friend Camila Hurst of Pies and Tacos