Peppermint Easter Eggs
- Yield: 40 eggs
- Nutrition: See Below
- Prep Time: 50 Minute
- Cook Time: 0 Minute
- Calories Per Serving: 280
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed hard peppermint candy (about 20 pieces)
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 9 to 10 cup powdered sugar
- Purchased tubes of decorator frosting
- 2 drop red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (24 oz.) package vanilla flavored candy coating or confectioners' coating
- BEAT butter and salt in large bowl with electric mixer. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk, peppermint extract and food coloring. Gradually beat in 6 cups powdered sugar. Stir in as much of the remaining sugar as possible with spoon. Stir in peppermint candy.
- TURN onto surface dusted with additional powdered sugar. Gradually knead in enough remaining powdered sugar to make a smooth, easy-to-shape mixture.
- LINE baking sheets with wax paper. Divide into quarters. Shape each quarter into 10 eggs (each about 2 inches long and 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide). Place eggs on prepared baking sheets: cover and chill 4 hours or until firm.
- LINE additional baking sheets with wax paper. Melt candy coating in large saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. To coat each egg, insert fork into bottom of chilled egg and dip into warm candy coating; let excess coating drip off. Place on prepared baking sheets; let stand until firm. Decorate as desired with purchased frostings.
- PEANUT BUTTER EGGS: REDUCE butter to 1/4 cup; add 1/3 cup Jif® Creamy Peanut Butter. Omit salt, peppermint extract, red food coloring and peppermint candies. Proceed as above.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size 1 egg, 1/40 of recipe, Calories Per Serving 280, Total Fat 8g, Calories From Fat 70g, Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 100mg, Carbohydrates 50g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugar 38g, Protein 2g;Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Calcium 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Iron 0%.
Smucker's (or Jif, or Crisco) is a trademark of The J.M. Smucker Company, used by permission; Folgers is a trademark of The Folger Coffee Company, used by permission, and Pillsbury (or Pillsbury's BEST) is a trademark of The Pillsbury Company, LLC used under license by The J.M. Smucker Company, used by permission.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.