Southern Yam Dessert Squares
- Yield: 15 squares
- Nutrition: See Below
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound yams or sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed or 1 (16 oz.) can yams, drained and mashed (about 2 cups)
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Vanilla ice cream
- Smucker's® Sundae Syrup™ Caramel Flavored Syrup
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl; set aside.
- BEAT butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy in large bowl. Add dry ingredients, combining until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture; press remaining mixture firmly into bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- BAKE 10 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients except nuts in medium bowl; mix well. Pour over partially baked crust. Combine nuts with reserved crumb mixture; crumble evenly over top.
- BAKE an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Drizzle with caramel topping if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 15 squares), Calories 490 (Calories from Fat 210), Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 13g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 85mg, Sodium 370mg, Total Carbohydrate 64g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 43g), Protein 8g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 120%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.