Key Lime Meringue Tart
- Yield: 10 servings
- Nutrition: See Below
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Single crust Classic Crisco® Pie Crust
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 or 3 drops green food color
- For Meringue: COMBINE 1 tablespoon sugar, cornstarch and water in small saucepan. Stir until cornstarch dissolves. Cook and stir on medium heat until mixture is clear. Cool to room temperature.
- For Crust: HEAT oven to 400°F. Prepare recipe for single crust pie. Roll out and place in 9-inch tart pan without stretching dough. Prick bottom with fork to prevent shrinking. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For Filling: BEAT egg yolks and whole egg in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until frothy. Add sweetened condensed milk and lime juice, beating until blended. Stir in lime peel. Pour into baked tart crust.
- For Meringue: BEAT egg whites and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add cooled cornstarch mixture gradually and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon over top of filling, spreading evenly and sealing to edge.
- BAKE 15 to 17 minutes or until meringue is golden and filling reaches 160°F. Cool 1 hour. Chill at least 30 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/10 of pie), Calories 330 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 180mg, Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 30g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 10%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.