- Yield: 6 servings
- Nutrition: See Below
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 (12 fl.oz.) can PET® Evaporated Milk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Ground cinnamon
- COMBINE sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk in medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring frequently, 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is caramel colored and begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
- WHISK egg yolks in medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup hot milk mixture gradually to yolks, whisking until blended. Pour back into milk mixture slowly until combined. Return to boiling. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Divide evenly among six small ramekins or custard cups. Chill 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- BEAT egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tartar in metal bowl just until blended. Place in saucepan with 1-inch gently boiling water. Beat on low speed of electric mixer 3 minutes or until whites reach 160°F. Remove bowl from saucepan. Beat on high speed 4 to 5 minutes or until firm peaks form. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- SPOON or pipe meringue over custard. Chill 1 hour. Sprinkle with cinnamon just before serving.
- A double boiler can be used to cook the egg whites instead of a metal bowl in simmering water. Egg white mixture can be poured into bowl of stand mixer to beat, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 175mg, Sodium 170mg, Total Carbohydrate 62g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 62g), Protein 13g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 35%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.