Almond Key Lime Bars
- Yield: 2 to 3 dozen bars
- Nutrition: See Below
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsps. sliced almonds, toasted*
- 3/4 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice or regular lime juice
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 3 drops green food coloring, if desired
- WHIPPED TOPPING (optional)
- 1 cup (1/2 pt.) heavy cream
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese or cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil.
- CHOP finely 1/2 cup almonds. Combine chopped almonds, flour, powdered sugar, almond extract and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is the size of peas. Press in bottom of prepared pan. Press remaining 3 tablespoons sliced almonds into crust mixture.
- BAKE 20 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool.
- REDUCE oven temperature to 325°F. Combine sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, egg yolks, lime peel and food coloring, if desired, in large bowl. Beat until smooth. Pour over crust.
- BAKE 20 minutes or until center is set. Cool 2 hours. Cut into bars. Decorate with Whipped Topping.
- WHIPPED TOPPING
- BEAT cream, cheese and sugar in small bowl until smooth and stiff peaks form. Top each bar with cream mixture using a pastry bag or spoon.
- *To toast almonds: Place almonds in dry nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat, shaking pan until nuts are lightly browned.
- For a thicker bar, double cookie bar ingredients; proceed as above.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 bar of 24), Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 75mg, Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 17g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 8%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.